St.Joseph’s Boys’ Hr. Sec. School is commonly known as St. Joseph’s College. It is a residential-cum-day School. It was established in 1888 by the Brothers of St. Patrick (Patrician Brothers). The Principal and the senior staff were all Irishmen till the late sixties. The school is still being run by the Patrician Brothers.

The school stands amidst beautiful surroundings on the crest of a hill 1800 metres above sea level, just a few minutes walk from both Coonoor and Wellington railway stations. The mean annual temperature is 18.3 degree Celsius.

The school has a strong focus on football and athletics and places equal importance on academics. The school is often referred to as the “Sporting Giant of The Nilgiris”, having won the Nilgiris District Inter-School Athletics Championship consecutively for the past 22 years and the Nilgiris District Inter-School Football Championship for more number of times than any other school. The school won the Tamil Nadu state-level inter-school football tournament in 2007 and almost every year reaches at least the semi-finals of this tournament. The school has produced few state-level athletes and footballers. The students are known as “The Josephites”

History

Physical Training and Games Athletics are encouraged to promote sportsmanship and a healthy spirit of competition.

In 1888, the Catholic Bishop of Coimbatore, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Bardou, considered it opportune to star a school within the premises of their ‘House’ in the Nilgiris. At the outset, before the establishment of our present school, bungalows owned by the Catholic Mission in Wellington were utilized for the education of Catholic children. The Priests of the Society of the Paris Missions conducted the infant institution, which in the early years, had an enrolment of about forty students. With the increasing number of pupils, it was found necessary to shift the School to where sufficient accommodation could perhaps be obtained. Dr. Bardou, with considerable enterprise, obtained an extensive property in Coonoor and the work of the building was started in 1888. The main block was completed two years later and the pupils attending the School in Wellington were transferred to the new building in Coonoor – still under the Priests of the Paris Foreign Mission.

The new millennium 2000 saw the completion of the ambitious project, started in 1998, after many years of planning, the Gymnasium, Indoor Stadium and Auditorium blessed on 8 August by His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Antony Anantharayar, Bishop of Ooty and inaugurated by Thiru. Pongalur Palaniswamy, Hon. Minister for Sports and Environment, who said: “St. Joseph’s now has facilities no other school or college can afford in the whole of Tamil Nadu. May the good use of these produce future Olympians bringing glory to the State and country!” The complex houses the Indoor Basket Ball, Shuttle Badminton, Table Tennis and Squash Courts.