The Laidlaw Memorial School & Jr. College of St. George’s Homes, Ketti was founded in 1914 by the Late Rev. John Breeden, to provide a Home and a sound liberal and general education, based on Christian principles, for children of the Protestant European and Anglo-Indian Communities. It was generously endowed by the Late Sir Robert Laidlaw.The Institution was established in 1914 in Kodaikanal and later moved to Ketti, its present home, in 1922.

The school is run on the lines of a Public School and provides a comprehensive, liberal education in English, for children of all communities. The emphasis is on a sound general education, on self-discipline and self reliance. In view of the fact that a great many of the children in the School must perforce be separated from their parents for many months each year, every effort is made to give them a pleasant, comfortable and affectionate scholastic environment.

Without departing from the original aims of the School, its Constitution was amended in 1953, so as to admit to its portals children of all communities, from all parts of the country and indeed, of the world, as Boarders paying full fees.

Religious observances and instruction in the School are in accordance with the Protestant Christian tenets. However, there is provision for Roman Catholic worship, and exemption from worship and religious instruction for those desiring it (except for the Morning Assembly and School Functions). Moral, as distinct from religious, instruction is compulsory.