Lovedale is situated about 6 kilometres from Ootacamund, on the central plateau of the Nilgiri Hills. It is about 7200 feet above mean sea level and its climate is temperate throughout the year. The school stands on its own estate, about 750 acres, and the local railway station, Lovedale, which is on the Ootacamund-Mettupalayam metre gauge hill Railway adjoins the School estate.

The School was primarily instituted on 6th September, 1858 in the memory of Major General Sir Henry Lawrence, KCB to provide vocational education to the orphans and the other children of European soldiers in India. The erstwhile School was located in a building known as ‘Stone House’ at Ootacamund in the Nilgiris. With the passage of time, the School metamorphosed to being one of the premier residential public schools of the country. The Senior School is housed in a magnificent two-storey building along with a towering campanile of 130 feet, built in Italian Gothic style amidst 700 acres of pristine forests.

The School was under British administration until May, 1949, after which the school was handed over to the Government of India. On the 6th of September, 1949, the School was presented the Indian Union colour, which replaced the old King’s Colour. After the takeover by the Government of Independent India, it was run as a public school, open to all, with a 40 percent reservation of seats and a 20 percent fee subsidy, for children of Defence Personnel.

The administration of The Lawrence School, Lovedale is vested in an autonomous body known as the Board of Governors appointed by the Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource development. The School is neither exclusive nor elitist and it maintains a Secular and Cosmopolitan culture. In fact, the School is a miniature India, for children from many communities from all parts of the country and overseas, study here. They are brought up in an atmosphere that fosters a spirit of co-existence and respect for the feelings and beliefs of others.